Monday, September 29, 2008

Direction

The kind of artist that i want to be does not sit in a studio and make paintings.
I want to do work that is about people.
I want to do work that is of concern to people.
I want to do work that involves people.

I am a visually minded person, but i am also a socially minded person.
To be more specific, I have recently been concerned with the development, structure, and functioning of human society.
I think on the macro level - I often think in universals.

As I've seen from other artists, this work takes the form of projects more often then paintings.
These projects will require my skills as a fine artist, because they will require a level of quality, expertise, and background knowledge of art-making and the art world.

Museums today realize that they have a tradition of disconnect with majority of the population. The work that matters today breaks tradition in that it is no longer solely aesthetic. Art must respond to people.

A picture plane has two dimensions.
A sculpture has three dimensions.
A time-based piece has four dimensions.
I contend that the social sphere is the new fifth dimension of art.



I owe this inspiration and freshly acute sense of direction to Allan McCollum, and the lecture he just gave here at MICA.

No comments: