Sunday, April 26, 2009

Bits from a notebook

-Maybe thinking isn't necessarily in the form of words or a language.


-The truth of things never lies on the surface


-My cell phone's predictive text assumes "pain" before "rain".  How sad.


-Sometimes you have to hear things spoken out-loud to believe they're true.  So I tell Jon that he's beautiful, and myself that I don't need that cookie.


-We must be taught to look for what we can't see.


-I'm beginning to see how alike we all really are.


-"Oh no! I think I am becoming better friends with words than with paint!  Or maybe words are more like my best girl friends, and paint is more...my beloved."


-Tonight, 

words are so 

bloated 

and heavy 

that i can barely use them


-I love when the train out my window 

harmonizes with Mozart's piano concerto in D major.

I hate when my alarm 

blends with ambulance sirens in the morning.


-All I want to do

is walk across this room 

and cross through every box 

on that calendar til June.

I'll open up a window

and pray that the wind will

sweep every paper off my cork-board,

and every deadline off of April.



-When I finally get to sprawl 

across my mattress, 

the day exhausted,

body throbbing, 

I thank God.

On the orange wall across the room

little gummy people made of oil paint 

creep off their canvases,

and singing voices flow through the pipes overhead.



Words I've been thinking about


-essence, essential

-broken, restore, healing

-fundamentals: drawing, ballet, diction, scales

-create, creator, creation, creative, creativity

-student/servant

-counterintuitive

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often will just write down thoughts, sentences, words that strike me, and it's amazing how a simple statement can become a poem. I loved reading all of these different thoughts one after the other, out of context; they create within the perimeters of this posting their own relationship and rhythm as a stand-alone collection of thoughts.
Right now I'm in the process of reading Fragments of a Journal by Eugene Ionesco, and the beginning is written in a similar manner- a collection of memories from childhood- some are a few sentences and some are long paragraphs, but they all work so splendidly well together.