Monday, February 25, 2008

Creation

When I think of God as "Creator of the earth", I think of the God I felt one night while sitting on the surface of a calm ocean.
It's heart-beat pulsed, pushing up rhythmic hills of water that just barely rocked my board, submerged in the gulf beneath me. I stared out at the space around me - I dare not call it sky, because it touched my skin. It was saturated with orange. Yellow was there too, but it wasn't yellow - it was a warm gold light that must have slipped out of heaven on accident. And I, bobbing in the warm saltwater, was the sole witness of God's heaven spilling out onto earth that evening.


My best friend actually took this when I was coming back to shore that night. Can't do justice, but still:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babygirrrl/747976804/


"Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,

when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,

when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,

when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt'?

Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea
or walked in the recesses of the deep?

Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth?
Tell me, if you know all this.

What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?

Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings?

-Job 38:8-11, 16, 18 - 20

No comments: