Sunday, February 24, 2008

From a small sketchbook

...I think that as we become comfortable with everything technological, we have less concern for what goes on on earth. I have a strange feeling that, in 70 years, if you ask an adult what a lily looks like, they won’t have the faintest idea.

Does our education system instill a mind-frame in us that says you must have only one path in life? I like a lot of things. I can do a lot of things. I can be an artist throughout all of them.

A good painting or a bad painting may be the same painting, seen by different people. To me, my paintings are good.

“Being a ‘dyed in the wool’ painter happens when the two things that seem seperate - like the color and wool - have actually become one.” -Timothy App

Painting can be whatever you want it to be.

Jennifer Stockholder Lecture (Paraphrased quotes):
-Art is a way of making sense of things
-A big piece of us in unavailable to us through words.
-Sometimes, being expressive is seen as a joke - you have to be intellectual, analytical, intelligent. Expressiveness and the subconscious are often seen as stupid.
-Art is most exciting when it challenges ways of thinking and seeing

No comments: