Monday, February 18, 2008

Impossible

This past Sunday at the Light we sang a song written for a city in Ireland that was in the middle of a revolution (which I completely forgot all the details about. oops). Here's the chorus:

"Greater things are yet to come
Greater things are still to be done
in this city."

This made me think of "My Impossible Prayer": for God to take away the drug and gang violence in Baltimore. Hey, even the tiniest bit of faith can move a mountain. Sounds impossible, but I believe that God can seriously do anything, and I believe that He can use me and others to do it! (Um, Community Arts anyone?)

This leads me to a very relevant prayer by a guy in the old testament named Habakkuk:

Habakkuk's Complaint

How long, O LORD, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, "Violence!"
but you do not save?

Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds.

Therefore the law is paralyzed,
and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous,
so that justice is perverted.

The Lord 's Answer

"Look at the nations and watch—
and be utterly amazed.
For I am going to do something in your days
that you would not believe,
even if you were told.

No comments: